discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Feeding Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 03-22-2017, 17:57 Post: 39643
Kevin

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 Do you lend your tractor?

Now that I have a tractor, I seem to have become the "free" rental center. All my friends (& even acquaintances)are asking to "borrow" my $11,000 toy. Has this happened to you? How do you deal with it?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 03-22-2017, 22:51 Post: 39647
Pete
2017-03-22

NEVER!
I have had the same thing happen with my tractor. I have a neighbor who started out asking to use it once every couple of weeks or so to move mulch around his property. Every so often, I would notice a ding or scratch that he had caused which made me angry but still not that big of a deal. But the straw that broke the camels back was one day he decided to use it without asking (I found out through one of my horse boarders who had saw him take it). After that little incident, which apparently happened more than once, he was told (in not such a nice fashion)to buy his own tractor!!!! If you are like me, I use it every day and rely on it way too much. I DO NOT NEED MY NEIGHBOR TO WRECK IT FOR ME.

03-23-2017, 03:46 Post: 39648
Dan G
2017-03-23

I get the same thing as a contractor. Just say NO. I also rehab old cars. When I bought my Miller mig welder, my friends acted like they went in half or something. Don't lend it out!
You are the loser when something goes wrong and it will. They will ride her hard and put her away wet! Others don't have that pride of ownership. Are they there paying for your oil changes? Will they buy your new tires? Will they even clean it up when they are done? NOT! Most people don't even offer to put fuel in it or your truck you hauled it over in!
Make a policy that only YOU will operate YOUR machine when it is convient for YOU. As soon as you say "sure you can HIRE me and MY machine for the day" you'll be astonished to find people stop asking!
If it's family or a close friend, don't charge but don't lend it. Let people say what they want. If they don't like it go rent or buy a machine.
Sorry if I sound harsh but that's real life. When you need something, do you see people flocking to help? There's always an excuse. Lending usually is a One Way Street.
Dan G.

03-23-2017, 08:40 Post: 39650
BillMullens

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

I have a friend that used to be a drywall and finish carpentry contractor. He is constantly being asked by friends & family for help with projects. His solution is that "friends and family are free"; he's glad to help BUT he does it on his own terms, that is, when he has the time. I do the same with my tractor. I won't lend it out, but will help friends when convenient for me.
Bill

03-23-2017, 13:35 Post: 39651
DRankin

I have gotten to the point where I won't even lend a shovel, because even that came back abused. Tractors are complicated machines to learn and use properly and are therefore prone to misuse and damage. Also consider the litigation aspect. It is not hard to imagine someone borrowing your tractor, doing something stupid like tipping it over, and then suing you because you didn't give him instruction on how to avoid it. No. I think the keys will stay in my pocket.

03-23-2017, 18:29 Post: 39655
DavidJ

I loan mine to only one person, my dad. I know that he'll take the same care of it as I would. Also when it's time to change the oil he's usually the one to do it. As for anyone else I will do the work for them but, as others have said, it's at my convienience and they pay for a fillup of fuel.

03-23-2017, 23:23 Post: 39658
TC33
2017-03-23

I normally won't lend it to anyone .. not the new one or the old ones... I will normally suggest that I can assist them when I have time.

03-24-2017, 04:18 Post: 39685
Michael C.
2017-03-24

This discussion brought back memories. About 12 years ago I owned an 855 with loader/backhoe/rake. I ended up with more friends than any man needs. My father and father in law would fight over who wanted to use it. It got so bad they wouldn't even talk to each other. My needs didn't matter. Friends also wanted it for everything, even to help out their friends. Of course I ended up repairing it frequently and without any expense money. Not one of them ever read the manuals for safety reasons and they all thought they were expert operators. 15 grand of machinery and people wouldn't even bat an eye when asking to take it for a 'few days'. I had enough so I just sold it. My father in law bought his own machine. They are now talking. I now own an 8000# machine that I don't own a trailer for so it stays home.
Also, another consideration is insurance-mine does not allow commercial use off my property nor do they want to see anyone else operating it. It is also not registered for on road use. For anyone thinking of lending a machine out consider the liability implications. I do plow a few elderly neighbors driveways after a heavy snowfall to help out but everything is done when I want to do it.

05-24-2017, 02:44 Post: 55572
Misenplace

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

I never loan anything to anyone any more. It seems to always end up causeing more problems than just saying no to begin with. Not to mention the liability. I also NEVER ask to loan any thing from others. It just makes life a whole lot smoother. With some I just volunteer to help out when I have the time.

05-24-2017, 07:38 Post: 55581
cutter

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I used to loan and borrow between my friends and family. I can's say I have had all bad experiences but enough to never borrow or lend major items again. I still loan small tools to people I care about, in fact my pole saw went out yesterday with my son. My experience with big ticket items has been less than satisfactory. My pride and joy 1978 Dodge 4x4 with custom paint and interior came back from the store at my friends pig roast with a dent in the tailgate. Other items I have loaned did not come back at all. Now, if it has an engine it stays here or I go with it.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Feeding Forum

Thread 39643 Filter by Poster:
BillMullens 1 | Billy Passmore 1 | Chief 2 | cutter 2 | Dan G 1 | DavidJ 1 | DRankin 1 | homedad5acre 1 | jailer 1 | JFarms 1 | Kevin 1 | melensdad 1 | Michael C. 1 | Misenplace 1 | Pete 1 | Peters 1 | plots1 2 | TC33 1 |

(advanced search)

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ ever thought about moving?
+ Do you lend your tractor?
+ Do electric fences keep out deer?
+ Thought this would be the place to ask.........
+ Clover over septic field. Good? Bad? Ugly?
+ Some Christmas Humor For Horse and Bud Lite Lovers
+ TRACTOR TAX WRITE/OFF
+ $$ returns per acre?
+ Side-Hill Operaion
+ What to do with Horse manure pile?

Most Discussion

+ ever thought about moving?
+ TRACTOR TAX WRITE/OFF
+ Side-Hill Operaion
+ Clover over septic field. Good
+ re: homeowner insurance
+ Do you lend your tractor?
+ DUMP TRAILERS HAULING YOU TRAC
+ Who are the Top 10 CUT Manufac
+ Thought this would be the plac
+ Research Participants Needed i

Newest Topics

+ Some Christmas Humor For Horse and Bud Lite Lovers
+ Feed Rebate for Triple Crown products?
+ Hay Prices and Preferences
+ More Pond Questions
+ Maintaining a horse pasture
+ Yard hydrant adjustment question
+ deer feed plot planting
+ Horse Pasture Rent
+ TV program for us hobby guys
+ Do electric fences keep out deer?

Turbochargers for Tractors and Industrial Machines
Cab Glass for Tractors and Industrial Machines

Alternators for Tractors and Industrial Machines
Radiators for Tractors and Industrial Machines