discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Feeding Forum

Page 1 | [ 2 ] |      << Prev

06-24-2017, 14:29 Post: 61497
boatman

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 $$ returns per acre?

Larryv, I suggest that you subscribe to American Small Farm Magazine for ideas. They have articles regarding your subject. See web link.

Link:   Click Here 

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 06-24-2017, 19:23 Post: 61509
Misenplace

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 $$ returns per acre?

Or try Hobby Farmer magazine.

06-25-2017, 00:18 Post: 61609
TomG

$$ returns per acre?

If you've got some time you might take a look at ginseng. Takes awhile to get to market (about 5 years) I think and some special conditions (doesn't like sun).

Like another crop mentioned here there is a bunch of fashion about it and it's value is related very much to where is said to come from and how old it is. A wild variety does grow in our bush around here and it is extremely fashionable. Apparently it's a real gold mine for a person who know where a wild stand is. However, even basic commercial grades produce very high $ value per acre. One of our former federal politician's family wealth is based on it I hear.

Because of its high value per acre it might be interesting as a hobby crop on small plots. I think there is an organized market for the stuff and it shouldn't be too hard to find buyers. There are 'how to' books around for growing it.

If the idea actually is to produce some excess $'s most small operations for anything commercialized is likely to end up as a recreational operation so it's a good idea to start with something that's pleasing to do. For example, working the operation is fun and Christmas trees are nice to look at.

The economics of small operations is that to make much you need heavy resistance for producers to enter the market. That's why crops that take a long while to mature are good. Organic farming qualifies since it takes 5 years to get a certification. Other than time, something that has location, requires unique skills or has special requirements is good. Pick your own berry operations tend to do OK and it's because of location. Berries don't store or ship well so markets tend to be local. I'd look for something that's fun but also difficult and fussy or has a small consumer market. The short-term bottom-line orientation of current corporate managers does provide opportunity for the rest of us.

06-25-2017, 05:12 Post: 61626
Murf

$$ returns per acre?

Larry, never mind 'putting the horse before the cart', I think were trying to decide where to drive already here.

Until you know what the land will support there is no use in trying to decide what to grow, the LAND will decide what to grow more than anything else.

I have seen all to many times, people trying to grow crops which were not suitable for one reason or another. Almost without exception the higher cost of production, whether because of specialized equipment costs, soil amendments, or just plain excessive labour, the returns were only the same as if they had grown 'regular' crops.

If you are looking for a crop to use as supplemental income then it is even more reason to stay 'low-tech', big investments (relatively speaking) are going to prolong the amount of time before you make anything.

Depending on the soil, climate, etc., and from a cost to achieve a yield point of view (cost efficiency) the number one crop today is probably potatoes believe it or not. They are dead easy to grow, require little maintenance, are very hardy, and require only minimum equipment if you already have a tractor. In commercial operations it is not too hard to achieve yields of 9+ tons per acre, for you home plot you wouldn't have a problem getting 5 tons to the acre with mimimum work or expense. If you sell them 'road-side' you can get pretty close to retail prices for fancy or organic product. If you figure 5 tons times 5 acres, that is 25 tons of spuds. That would be the equivalent of 5,000 ten pound bags, at only $2 per ten pound bag, that would be $10,000 worth. If you are, or have access to a competant welder, you could fabricate all the equipment necessary for under $1000 or just buy it, a small pto-driven harvester starts at about $3500, they make some nice little ones in Michigan.

Best of luck.

06-25-2017, 10:07 Post: 61630
Misenplace

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 $$ returns per acre?

I think both art and Murf have solid points. There is a BIG gap between sheep and ground crops, Garlic or Angora goats. I guess we would also need to know how much acerage as well as topography and soil type,etc. Theese are all great points for any newbie to consider.

06-25-2017, 15:01 Post: 61648
Art White

Filter by User
 $$ returns per acre?

The easiest way for anyone to succeed is to do something you like to do. You might be able to make it doing what someone else failed at. Direction, desire and determination is what is required. You should look at how much time you have free to work at it. That will tell you which way to look to fill a day. Some people do well with u-picks, if you don't mind people all over your property. Some people use the summer markets that are open one day at a time in different towns. Options are great,wholesaling is not easy at all.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | [ 2 ] |      << Prev

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Feeding Forum

Thread 61453 Filter by Poster:
Art White 2 | boatman 1 | DRankin 1 | F350Lawman 1 | harvey 2 | JerryG 1 | larryv 2 | Misenplace 3 | Murf 1 | Peters 1 | TomG 1 |

(advanced search)

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ ever thought about moving?
+ Do you lend your tractor?
+ Do electric fences keep out deer?
+ Thought this would be the place to ask.........
+ Clover over septic field. Good? Bad? Ugly?
+ Some Christmas Humor For Horse and Bud Lite Lovers
+ TRACTOR TAX WRITE/OFF
+ $$ returns per acre?
+ Side-Hill Operaion
+ What to do with Horse manure pile?

Most Discussion

+ ever thought about moving?
+ TRACTOR TAX WRITE/OFF
+ Side-Hill Operaion
+ Clover over septic field. Good
+ re: homeowner insurance
+ Do you lend your tractor?
+ DUMP TRAILERS HAULING YOU TRAC
+ Who are the Top 10 CUT Manufac
+ Thought this would be the plac
+ Research Participants Needed i

Newest Topics

+ Some Christmas Humor For Horse and Bud Lite Lovers
+ Feed Rebate for Triple Crown products?
+ Hay Prices and Preferences
+ More Pond Questions
+ Maintaining a horse pasture
+ Yard hydrant adjustment question
+ deer feed plot planting
+ Horse Pasture Rent
+ TV program for us hobby guys
+ Do electric fences keep out deer?

Turbochargers for Tractors and Industrial Machines
Cab Glass for Tractors and Industrial Machines

Alternators for Tractors and Industrial Machines
Radiators for Tractors and Industrial Machines