discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Transportation Trailers Forum

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 | 4 |      << Prev | Next >>

08-01-2017, 10:22 Post: 69718
JParker

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 U-Haul Auto Transport Trailer for CUT?

Thanks again for all the great input.

I thought the U-Haul Truck idea was the best option so far until I spoke with a structural engineer in our building today about ramp strength. He brought up something I hadn't considered.

He said, the trucks generally don't have any substantial tie down points to anchor the tractor to. Usually just some light weight, track mounted loops or rub rails on the sidewalls to tie a couch or mattress up to. I'll have to go see one to be sure, but that seems to have shot down an otherwise great idea.

The truck deck height is listed as 33". If the tie down problem can be solved, I'm sure the ramp can be as well; or maybe I'm back to buying a trailer, and borrowing or renting a bigger tow vehicle.

Presently, I don't have any mowing device. I will most likely go with a 5' rotary cutter this Spring, so width or ground clearance shouldn't be an issue.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 08-01-2017, 15:16 Post: 69721
DRankin

Filter by User

The ocean going container that I used to move from Alaska had no tie-downs either. But it had a wooden floor. We nailed down 2x4's as cleats and blocked in the tires on the pick-up. It traveled fine, no shifting around.

I don't know what sort of floor you will find in a U-Haul truck. The slide-back/flatbed wrecker is the way to go for both loading and unloading.

08-09-2017, 09:45 Post: 72842
Cub-Scout

Have you figured it out yet? I'll throw in my 2 cents worth.
I'm somewhat in the same boat, and have done what you're talking about in the past, so I'll give 2 different perspectives. I am in the process of buying a Cub Cadet 7305 w/FEL & BH. I'm figuring total weight of 4700 lbs. I own an 18' 10K car hauler trailer....all steel, flat deck with rear stabilizers and drop deck that I picked up for $1900. I just wanted to have it, to move cars, or my new Cub, and have used it to move my Cub 1782 with FEL and Box blade (about 1500 lbs.)
I also have a 6-cylinder SUV...a 4 runner....with the 3500 LB load it pulled it OK (w/o extra brakes) but I also haven't hauled it long distances and did take it very easy. I'm seriously doubting the 4runner will be able to haul 6800 lbs (over rated max), and my other truck (1980 Scout w/nissan diesel) will barely get out of it's own way. It's got lots of low-end torque, but towing a load - uh uh. I did hook it up to my trailer and 1782 for a test run, I think it took me about 5 minutes to get to 60 MPH.
Sorry, I digress. Now I'm using a buddy's new Powerstroke to pick up the Cub 7305, absolutely no problem there....which is why I'm considering a Powerstroke for myself.
To the second half....I've used Uhaul trucks on several moves....and have put my Scout in the back on a couple. I THINK you should be able to move the CUT in a box truck...I would use the FEL against the front of the truck, displacing the load across the loader....and chock the back wheels with big rubber chocks for a steel floor, or nail down wood chocks for a wood floor. Your friend is right, there are no suitable tiedowns for vehicles/tractors. I traveled from FL to WA with no problems. Of course, I also had the rest of the van packed to the gills, which held everything in place. NOTE; no sudden starts or stops, especially on a hill! I did this, and heard a big bang....the scout hit the back door and put a nice dent in the door. Of course, I didn't have it chocked down, on a steel floor....big dummy.
Lastly, my little trick for loading/unloading....find a hill/slope somewhere around where you're loading/unloading....I searched around a little, found a little slope...used double 2X12's....no problems! I guess the frequency/distance you'll be moving your equipment would dictate renting/buying....also, Uhaul has the drop-down deck which gets the deck real close to the ground...and rent a diesel, which gets twice or 3 times the mileage of a gas truck.

Hope this helps....Happy New Year!!
Frank

08-15-2017, 08:04 Post: 74510
itsgottobegreen

jparker U-haul trucks have a smooth alumiun floor, so you could get some self tapping screws and screw in a piece of angle iron into the floor. If they ask about the holes, "What Holes". Why don't you have the dealer throw in free deliver.
Cub that hill idea you have is how my buddy moves his john deere crawler loader. He would put the loader in the back of the peterbuilt strait chip/log truck. Then tow the 18" chipper. He would look for a hill, back up and drive the loader off. Then load he would back up to the chip pile and drive into the back of the truck. He now cheats because he got a selfpropelled chipper on a trailer. Drive of the chipper, flip up a second set of ramps into the back of the truck and drive the loader off onto the trailer. Then off the trailer to the ground. They can clear an acre in about 3 hours. The loader has a 18" tree shear and the chipper has a 18" capacity. It mostly pine the have on lot clearing job so they don't keep the logs.

10-26-2017, 02:36 Post: 97916
lbrown59

Location: First Organized Permanent Settlement In The Northwest Territory.

Filter by User

options might be to use a 3/4" plywood ramp reinforced with 4 x 4's. 4 of them as stringers like Mark mentioned should be plenty to hold the weight of the tractor but take it slow anyway to see if it will support the load.
Chief
==============
Might be a good idea to test the ramps first by laying a couple of 4x4s under each end of the ramps on a level surface and driving the tractor over them.
I would rather have a ramp collapse when I'm 4'' above the ground rather than half way up onto a truck.

>

10-26-2017, 07:30 Post: 97917
lbrown59

Filter by User

I don't know what sort of floor you will find in a U-Haul truck. The slide-back/flatbed wrecker is the way to go for both loading and unloading.
DRankin
=================
Finding a decent used one would also be ideal for the hauling too.
Now it you could get it with a dump bed too it would be the prfect set up.

10-26-2017, 22:14 Post: 97923
JD855inWI

I used a U-haul like in the photo to bring 70 TA Firebird from Arizona back to WI. U-haul was all concerned about liability and wanted to see the tow vehicle 86 4x4 Suburban and load before they stamped the deal to leave Arizona. They had a list of "approved" tow vehicles and they were only full sized trucks. If you don't meet all of their criteria, they don't cover the trailer or you. Trip went well except brakes on trailer when out in Oklahoma. I'd sure be cautious about doing anything to one of their trailers or trucks, "you are responsable for modifications" you could get nailed for a new floor or worse. Some of the dealers take digital photos of the equipment before it leaves now.

11-07-2017, 04:08 Post: 98445
lbrown59

Filter by User

U-haul has an Auto Transport Trailer that looks ideal (see link below); but I've been told they won't rent it out for anything but car transport. The 800 number people said they want the vehicle registration number on the vehicle to transport before they will take a reservation. When I said tractor they freaked. When I said big lawn mower they suggested a small utility trailer. This idea doesn't look promising.
JParker
====================
We have a rent it place here that has 3 Terramite Tractors they rent out.
They haul the Terramite on a trailer that is the same length as the tractor.They tow this with a flat bed or dump bed truck like the Ford F 350.
The trailer is different than most trailers. It's not a tilt bed and no loading ramps are needed.
The bed lowers clear down flat with the ground or pavement so you just drive straight onto the trailer.
Anyone have a trailer like this?
If U Haul won't rent you a trailer try an equipment rental place.

11-29-2017, 11:03 Post: 100159
dfkrug

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I recently rented a U-Haul car hauler to move a Kubota L2500, and I can tell you that even this tractor can only be hauled if the wheels are adjusted to their widest track, front and rear. A B-series Kubota will not fit into the tire channels on the trailer. If you use a trailer, it must have a continuous deck (not open in the center).

That said, I am so sick of renting trailers and trucks that I am exploring having a trailer made for me....5.5x12 deck, dual axles w/brakes, GVWR of 5K#, 3800lb cargo capacity. I am quoted around $1700.

11-29-2017, 15:58 Post: 100162
DRankin

Filter by User

May I make the assumption that you are not intending to haul your tractor/backhoe combo with the proposed custom trailer?

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 | 4 |      << Prev | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Transportation Trailers Forum

Thread 68780 Filter by Poster:
AV8R 3 | Chief 2 | Cub-Scout 1 | dfkrug 6 | DRankin 4 | itsgottobegreen 1 | JD855inWI 1 | JParker 5 | kubotaguy 1 | kwschumm 1 | lbrown59 5 | Murf 2 | shortmagnum 3 |

(advanced search)

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ U-Haul Auto Transport Trailer for CUT?
+ Used Trailers
+ TOW VEHICLE
+ Truck VS Trailer.
+ trailering 8N ford
+ Buying a trailer
+ Tieing Down a CUT Tractor
+ Buying a trailer
+ Need trailer tire help
+ Can Jeep Cherokee Pull My Tractor?

Most Discussion

+ Truck VS Trailer.
+ U-Haul Auto Transport Trailer