discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Transportation Trailers Forum

Page 1 | [ 2 ] |      << Prev

09-02-2017, 03:01 Post: 82236
ncrunch32

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Can Jeep Cherokee Pull My Tractor?

Based on these comments I am having second thoughts about purchasing a used trailer. I will check tow capacity again but I was quite sure that it was 6000 lbs - I have the Limited, don't know if that makes a difference. But maybe tongue weight is the limiting factor.

I think my insurance is OK, I also have the umbrella $2M policy with Amica - top rated in consumer reports. they pretty much cover everything.

What I am most concerned about is the weight. I tow a 21' boat now with the Cherokee and that seems pretty heavy. I don't want to be scared to death with a weight that feels like it may take me with it in a bad situation. Maybe I'll just continue to pay the $150 round trip to the dealer and use the old hand tools at my Mom's house.

Anyway, thanks for all your comments. This has been an interesting thread. I'm glad I asked the question.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 09-02-2017, 07:56 Post: 82242
AV8R

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

You are asking for trouble with this setup. Borrow a "real" tow vehicle, ie 3/4 ton Pickup (even a Ford would do). Having owned several Grand Cherokees I can vouch for the fact that 2 Harleys on a 12' trailer was pushing the Jeep around quite a bit. The thought of near 7000# on a tandem trailer behind a Jeep makes me want to stay home.

09-02-2017, 12:50 Post: 82264
jeff r

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

DK35vince,

I presumed wrongly that the tractor would also be insured for damage to the tractor. The loss of the tractor is the least of your worries if the thing comes loose off the trailer and kills somebody. The most important insurance you can have when towing ANY trailer is liability for damage and injury caused by a trailer that breaks loose and causes bodily injury. About 5 years ago, some idiot's small trailer came off the trailer ball and since he didn't have trailer chains on it went through the express way median and killed a motorcyclist going the opposite direction. Not only was he liable for damages the guy was sentenced to 3 years in jail for negligent homicide since safety chains are required in Michigan as with most states. I'm sure this guy wasn't overly concerned about damage to his trailer or contents.

I think for moving this TLB for a measlily 6 miles we are putting the original poster through a lot of hoops. Sure the Cherokee is a little on the light side but he has proper electric brakes and if he is real careful a scant 6 miles is NOT A BIG DEAL. In today's world he has more of a chance of getting killed by a drunk driver with the Cherokee pulling NOTHING.

09-02-2017, 17:45 Post: 82267
jeff r

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Tounge weight???...if you want to reduce tounge weight put equalizer bars on. There are people everyday that pull 35 foot travel trailers with 1/2 ton pickup trucks that weight alot more than your tractor loader backhoe package. What separates you from them is they have a bigger engine, extra big radiators for engine oil and engine coolant, transmission cooling radiators equalizer bars. Just because your trailer weight and contents exceed the weight of the tow vehicle is NOT a reason for concern. Trailers are being safely pulled every day with trailers weighing much more than the tow vehicle. HAVING A CHEROKEE pull a trailer weighing more than the Cherokee itself is no reason for concern. IF the tounge weight is heavy use eqalizer bars and allow for longer stopping distance and apply the trailer's electric brake well in advance of the required stop point. I sure as heck wouldn't pay 150 to a dealer to transport a TLB a scant 6 miles as I would not want to take your Cherokee and TLB and go to Florida. We are talking about 6 miles.

09-03-2017, 13:23 Post: 83749
PushRod

When I went to get my Kioti LK3054 with loader, Midwest box blade, 56" tiller, and a 6' finish mower 760 miles with a 93 Chevy 1/2 ton with a 5 speed manual transmission and 350 motor. I used a 16' 7000# trailer. Needless to say it was at maximum and beyond. I took it real easy and did not push the truck. I would say one thing is get a premium brake controller. Mine has a digital display indicating its setting. Very nice. Stopping the whole mess was my biggest concern.

09-10-2017, 17:08 Post: 87110
Ducati996

Hi Guys,

You can look at my pictures to see what a properly setup Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ V-8 4WD/AWD can do...Its rated as a Class 4 which is 6500 trailer weight or 10500 combined...it has the tow package which has stiffer springs

The enclosed trailer I have is a 6 x 12 and its heavy. The machines add 1,100- 1200 additional weight...I regularly go up to New England 6-10 hrs of windy hilly roads with no problem..The jeep is full and the A/C on..

Would I like a true tow vehicle? of course!! I will have a trailer soon to tow my smaller(no BH) JD 4100 for 50 mile one way trips...I'm not quite ready to scrap my 44k miles 1995 excellent condtion jeep quite yet Smile

I think in this case 5000lbs isnt a problem if the limited has the tow package, and up country suspension, and class 4 hitch, tranny cooler - should be standard on the limiteds or orville's..

Duc

I forgot the jeep has the brake booster, and the trailer has electric brakes

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | [ 2 ] |      << Prev

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Transportation Trailers Forum

Thread 82025 Filter by Poster:
AV8R 1 | bnrhuffman 1 | DK35vince 1 | DRankin 2 | Ducati996 1 | jeff r 3 | ncrunch32 4 | PushRod 1 | TomG 1 | yooperpete 1 |

(advanced search)

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ U-Haul Auto Transport Trailer for CUT?
+ Used Trailers
+ TOW VEHICLE
+ Truck VS Trailer.
+ trailering 8N ford
+ Buying a trailer
+ Tieing Down a CUT Tractor
+ Buying a trailer
+ Need trailer tire help
+ Can Jeep Cherokee Pull My Tractor?

Most Discussion

+ Truck VS Trailer.
+ U-Haul Auto Transport Trailer